Battery Acid

By twisted_cherub on Mar 26, 2012 at 7:53 AM

I have no problem producing natural lubrication. In fact, I do that well. The problem is my vaginal fluids irritate my and my boyfriend's skin. There's no falling asleep or cuddling for us after sex. We go straight to the shower to rinse the "battery acid" off ASAP. I get regular checkups and nothing has ever come out abnormal, but it's been like this for as long as I've been sexually active. I thought it was just my super sensitive skin, but he isn't sensitive to anything but my fluids. Could my pH level be messed up because of something I eat or drink? Is there any way to help the situation?

Madeleine Castellanos, M.D. | Mar 28, 2012 at 9:25 AM | Reply | Report

Vaginal pH is usually quite low (acidic) naturally. This does not burn as our skin protects us. (it doesn't burn you, right?) This what helps fight infections and maintains it's health. I am assuming that the "battery acid" quote is coming from him? If you have been found to be normal after your check-ups, then I suspect that it is his psychological issue. Perhaps he should explore this with a therapist after he accompanies you to a gyn visit so that he can understand that you are normal.

twisted_cherub | Mar 28, 2012 at 4:18 PM | Reply | Report

It's my quote. It does cause severe irritation on the skin of my labia and thighs if I don't wash it off. I once fell asleep directly after masturbating and got a rash. I have really sensitive skin, though (no jewelry of any metal, no perfume, no dyes/chemicals in laundry soap, no dryer sheets, no fragrance in lotion, paint or tape over the back of my jeans' buttons, etc.), so maybe I planted the idea in his head because I have to wash right after.

girlgonegood | Mar 29, 2012 at 7:04 PM | Reply | Report

Could it be bacterial vaginosis? I had that, and it caused terrible discomfort after sexual activity. It's not something doctors typically test for, so you might have to ask. There's an easy treatment.

twisted_cherub | Apr 1, 2012 at 6:15 AM | Reply | Report

I have my checkup soon. I'll ask. Thanks.

Madeleine Castellanos, M.D. | Apr 2, 2012 at 7:08 AM | Reply | Report

I think that you may be correct that you have probably planted this idea in his head. It sounds less likely that this is a physical issue. Remember that your thoughts shape your reality quite a bit. Are you uncomfortable with your vagina in any other way? Do you have any thoughts related to having people or things close to you or on your body/skin? I wonder if your thoughts about closeness and contact are affecting your immune system and your histamine response? You know that people can get rashes and/or hives from just stress. Have you considered exploring anxious thoughts with a therapist?

twisted_cherub | Apr 3, 2012 at 7:24 PM | Reply | Report

I was raised by a close family on a farm. I love hugging--even people I just met, if they're comfortable with it. I like to cuddle. I've been working in dirt, grease, animal filth, and anything you can name all my life. I've had the allergies just as long. My mom realized when I was six and a silver necklace made my neck swell, turn red, and itch. I have no internal allergies (ie--pet dander, dust, foods, pollen) or anxiety problems. I like getting dirty (even though fixing the car has me nursing a knees-to-chest rash right now) and being close to people. My skin just isn't up to par. Oh, I also like my vagina just fine. I haven't found a sexual hang-up yet.

Madeleine Castellanos, M.D. | Apr 11, 2012 at 9:05 AM | Reply | Report

Again, you should have your Gyn evaluate you fully, maybe even do pH testing, etc. If everything comes out normal, consider what psychological reasons you may be feeling this way.