The Doctor is In!

Sex at Age 70

By lee on Mar 12, 2011 at 4:12 PM

My wife went off hormones about 10 years ago. Sex was still mutually very good until two years ago. At 69 she now has difficulty with intimacy or arousal. Could she go back on hormones? Or, are there other alternative ways to return to the good sex. She really misses it and is frustrated. Thanks for any advice.

3 replies

Ian Kerner, Ph.D., LMFT | Mar 13, 2011 at 10:22 AM | Reply | Report

Has she consulted her physician recently? Sometimes a combination of estrogen cream and testosterone cream can be helpful with arousal, and there are also over the counter products such as zestra, which have also been successful with arousal.

Manspeak1 | Mar 14, 2011 at 10:20 AM | Reply | Report

I am 70, my wife is 68 and we currently enjoy a reasonably active sex life (3x/week). About 11 years ago, it was discovered that she had uterine cancer and had the complete "clean out" surgery. She would not take any hormones for fear of the cancer return. The symptoms of this "instant menopause" gradually became so bad that she did commence taking an extremely low dose hormone pit that our doctor recommended. She has gradually regained some normality in her life but is limited because of the extremely low dosage pill; she still suffers some effects of menopause.

My wife does not have the same sex drive that I do but to her credit, she works very hard to keep me satisfied and that I am grateful for. So there is hope but your wife should see a doctor that specializes in women’s health. This latter is VERY important for not all doctors are up to speed on the delicate balance of hormones for women.

Hilda Hutcherson, M.D. | Mar 15, 2011 at 5:46 AM | Reply | Report

She should certainly discuss this with her gynecologist. There are local estrogens that can be used to help with arousal. Once her vagina becomes moist again, sex should become pleasurable and her interest in sex may increase.

Add a Reply